Soft Wholegrain Spelt Tortillas (just 4 ingredients)
My kids love tortillas but I don’t like the crap added to the store bought versions. One way to keep your kids happy and your mum’s good conscience intact is to make these wholegrain spelt tortillas. They are super soft and made with only four ingredients.
These wholegrain spelt tortillas are so versatile, too. You can stuff them with your favourite Mexican ingredients. Use them as a wrap (as in these pictures), adding chicken and salad to make a quick, awesome lunch. Or even make into your own, homemade baked tortilla chips (recipe to follow) to dip into a fresh tzatziki dip. Check out these ten cool things to do with tortillas for more inspiration.
As delicious as these are, one thing niggles me a little. They weren’t round. It doesn’t matter what I make whether it is bread, pies, cookies or whatever else, I just can not get things completely round. Who cares though? Let’s call them rustic, shall we? Yes, let’s.
If you like the look of these wholegrain spelt tortillas, check out my other savoury recipes for inspiration!
Wholegrain Spelt Tortillas (just 4 ingredients)
- 230g (2 cups + 1 tbs) wholemeal spelt flour - see notes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (plus extra for the pan) - see notes
- 75ml (5 tbs) cold water
- Add all ingredients to a stand mixer.
- Mix until a dough pulls together, and then form into a ball.
- Cover and let rest for around 20 minutes or so.
- Divide into 8 balls.
- Roll out into fairly round-ish tortillas about 6" / 15cm in diameter.
- Brush a skillet with a touch of oil and cook each tortilla for around one minute on each side.
- When cooked, place in a clean tea towel and keep them covered until ready to eat (this will keep them soft and pliable). Enjoy!
- I used olive oil, but you can use any kind of vegetable oil.
- You can use spelt or regular flour for this recipe (just use the same amount).