Simple Homemade Butter Chicken Curry
I love a good curry and this simple homemade butter chicken curry is top of my list.
Nothing beats an authentic dish from your local Indian restaurant. Nooothing. This curry, however, comes close and when you’re looking for a homemade meal, can’t be beaten.
The recipe is not mine. It comes from Jennifer over at the amazing Foodess. I’ve made it so many times now that I don’t even need to follow a recipe and it is my absolute trusted go-to meal. Add some rice, a little naan bread or even a poppadum or two and you are in culinary heaven.
Because I’ve made this recipe so often, there have been times when I’ve deviated from the original. Times when I was rushed and didn’t marinate the chicken. Days when I used coconut milk instead of cream. Occasions when I replaced the chicken with prawns or just vegetables.
It didn’t matter what I did or how I tweaked it, the dish stood tall. I think it’s because the base of the meal, the thick, delish sauce, is what makes it. Tonnes of sautéed onions and garlic pureed together with tomatoes and cream to create the most divine curry sauce, ever. Give it a go, you won’t be disappointed.
If you like this simple homemade butter chicken curry, why not check out my other savoury dishes?
Simple Homemade Butter Chicken
- 1 kg chicken breast cut into slices or cubes (see note 1)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons sea salt or to taste
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 200 ml whipping cream or coconut milk/cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Chopped coriander to garnish optional
- For the directions, please visit Foodess (direct link to recipe below in the notes).