Savoury Cheese and Onion Puff Pastry Slices
These absolutely scrumptious cheese and onion puff pastry slices are ready in 20 minutes.
I live in a country where Greggs doesn’t exist. Well, actually, a place where savoury pies and pasties don’t really exist, either. How on earth have I survived all these years? Don’t get me wrong, the Swedes enjoy a pirogue, the odd burek, and often nosh down on a pie, but pasties and savoury bakes? Nope, nowhere to be found.
I have to be honest and say that using ready made puff pastry is fairly new to me. Well, I did make some gorgeous blackberry and cream puff pastries a couple of years ago, and around the same time, made my very popular chicken sausage rolls, but for some reason, the thought about making my own savoury bakes never even crossed my mind.
I always like to choose healthier choices when baking (and make things from scratch), but I am just not prepared to spend all that time creating puff pastry. Plus, there is absolutely no harm in anything in moderation. Considering it takes only 20 minutes to make these cheese and onion puff pastry slices (from start to finish), they are perfect when you get the craving for something simple and savory.
I asked Google for some inspiration, and found some cheese and onion bake options, but they included fried onion and mashed potatoes. I will definitely try one of those in the future, but I wanted something very quick this time, and frying an onion or making mash was not going to cut it. I still wanted to keep the onion and thought that if I chopped the onion very finely, that would work. And it did.
I have eaten these both warm and cold. I scoffed three slices on the day I made them. They were actually much better than I had anticipated. I also love the fact that you could really use anything as a filling (I’ve since made a Nutella and hazelnut one), and will definitely add spinach next time.
Savoury Cheese and Onion Puff Pastry Pie
- 2 packets ready made puff pastry (see notes)
- 200g grated strong cheese (I used cheddar)
- 200g cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ small onion (finely chopped)
- salt & pepper
- 1 egg
- poppy seeds (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C.
- In a large bowl, mix the grated cheese, cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, chopped onion and salt and pepper together.
- Roll out one of the pastry sheets on a large oven tray.
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly over the puff pastry, leaving around a 1½cm edge all the way around.
- Beat the egg, and brush over the 1½ edge. Take the other sheet of pastry and place it on top. Push down the edges to seal, and then carefully roll over the edges all the way around. Once done, press down, and repeat the procedure again. Crimp with a fork (see notes).
- Make several scores in the pastry with a sharp knife. Brush the egg all over the top of the pastry, and then sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake for around 15 minutes, just until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for a while. Cut into any size slices you like (I cut mine into 6 large slices) and enjoy it warm or cold (HP makes the perfect accompaniment)
- Using two sheets of ready made puff pastry meant I could make six large slices. If you don't want to make as many, just cut your pastry sheet in half.
- I like how the edges look when you turn them over. However, you could skip this, and just crimp or push down with a fork.
1 thought on “Savoury Cheese and Onion Puff Pastry Slices”