Spelt Vanilla Shortbread Cookies
These dainty spelt vanilla shortbread cookies are made with spelt flour. Filled with whipped cream and strawberries, this simple cookie recipe will impress!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
- 115g butter (softened)
- 50g icing sugar
- 140g spelt flour (see notes)
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla sugar (or essence)
- 6 large strawberries (cut into small pieces)
- 200-300ml whipping cream
- Icing sugar (for sprinkling)
Pre-heat the oven to 175ºC and line a large baking tray with grease proof paper.
Cream the butter and icing sugar together until fluffy.
Combine the flour and vanilla sugar and mix with the butter/sugar until a dough forms.
Roll the dough out between two sheets of baking paper until it is very thin. Using a round cutter, cut circles out of the dough. I used a small cutter and ended up with 18 circles (so made 9 cookie sandwiches) but you can make them as small or large as you like, just remember to adjust the baking time (smaller cookies require less time).
Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are starting to brown. They will look undercooked but take them out or you will end up with overbaked cookies. Leave them on the tray for five minutes until they've hardened a little, then move to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
For the filling: Whip the cream until it is firm then stir in the chopped strawberries. Place a dollop of cream on half of the cookies and top with the remaining cookies. Sprinkle with a little icing sugar. You can use as much or little cream as you like. Enjoy!
- I use grams in my recipes as weighing ingredients is the most accurate method. However, if cups are your thing, you can convert my measurements at Cook it Simply.
- You can substitute spelt flour for the same amount of regular flour.